Thursday, October 16

Fpawn Has Landed in Reno












Hello readers from the self-proclaimed "Biggest Little City in the World": Reno, Nevada! I arrived a day early for the 26th annual Western States Open chess tournament that begins at noon on Friday. The main event draws about 350 players of all ratings, including at least 15 Grandmasters and International Masters, making this one of the strongest annual events on the West Coast. Many players, myself included, return each year in part because of the hospitality by organizer Jerry Weikel and the Sands Regency hotel.

I expect to post occasional updates on this blog. Seven of my students will join me this weekend for some serious fun on the 64 squares. Make sure to also check Chess Life Online for the two or three columns that I will write over the next five days.

No comments: