|Downtown Reno on Virginia Street.|
After a disappointingly sparse turnout in 2012 (only 149 players), I expect to see a rebound this year. The long-range forecasts call for pleasant spring weather. Already 91 players have been registered, including five Grandmasters (Ivanov, Kudrin, Sevillano, Khachiyan and Browne) and three International Masters (Mezentsev, Odondoo and Formanek). Plus, some of "the usual suspects" have not signed up yet.
- Event: Larry Evans Memorial (formerly Far West Open)
- Dates: March 29-31
- Location: Sands Regency Hotel in Reno, NV
- Format: 6 rounds in 5 sections: Open, A, B, C, U1400
- Time control: 40/2, G/1 (maximum length game can go 6 hours)
- Entry fee: $133-137 + $22 late fee
- Prize fund: $21,000 based on 250 entries (2/3 guaranteed)
- See this website for complete details.
- Check advance entries by section
- Rating report from 2012.
|Look for this sign from I-80.|
A final note to chess parents: I know conventional wisdom says that casinos and kids do not mix well, but this tournament seems to be an exception. Dozens of kids rated from 800 to 2400 play each year. I recommend to request the Regency or Dynasty tower while reserving your hotel room so that the kids can take the elevator directly to the playing hall without walking through the casino. This weekend is also the final opportunity to practice before SuperNationals in Nashville, TN.