- Kindergarten: Arun Khemani (CalChess Champion) 4.0 and Lindsey Canessa 2.5
- 1st Grade: Rayan Taghizadeh (CalChess Champion) 4.0
- 2nd Grade: John Canessa (CalChess Champion) 4.0
- 3rd Grade: Cameron Wheeler (CalChess Champion) 4.5; Art Zhao 3.5 and Alvin Kong 3.0
- 5th Grade: Kyle Shin (photo at right) 5.0 and Maadhav Shah 3.0
Kudos to Cameron Wheeler for taking care of business in the first four rounds and then drawing with talented Tommy He (1842) in round 5. The rook endgame seemed hopeless at first glance, but Cameron alertly kept his rook active until his opponent gave him a draw. He faces yet another 1800 on Sunday morning.
Best of luck to Kyle, Cameron and all CalChess kids in Florida!