Check out this extensive interview that IM Sam Shankland gave to Chess Life Online. Most of the article concentrates on the World Youth Festival in Vietnam, where Sam tied for first U18 and thereby earned the bronze medal. While you are reading the story, make sure to answer the following six reading comprehension questions.
- How did a Frisbee change the course of Sam's life?
- What form of transportation do the Vietnamese use to get to the beach?
- Which variation of the Sicilian defense was Sam afraid of playing as black?
- Sam values the chess books by which author like gold?
- T or F: White wins by force in the Dragon by quickly pushing his g- and h-pawns.
- T or F: According to the article, some people say that Sam is now overrated.
All six answers correct: Bob C, Colin M.
In addition, Sam annotated all eleven of his games from Vietnam, many in substantial detail. Responding to one interview question, he makes a point about the importance of annotating your games. If you too want to some day become a master or even an International Master, then print out the article and carefully play through these games.