I was cleaning up a few broken links on my website when I came across an older page. This page reminded me that, whether you're a chess student, parent or coach, it always helps be aware of the big picture.
Ten Goals for Chess Lessons
- Become a more confident chess player!
- Critique your own games for mistakes and improvements.
- Develop the patience to carefully consider the consequences of every move.
- Improve pattern recognition and understanding of tactics.
- Learn strategy and positional concepts, such as tempo, space, pawn structures, weaknesses, good/bad pieces, and threats.
- Understand the theory of common endgames.
- Apply standard opening rules and develop an opening repertoire.
- Cope with psychological pressures caused by varying game situations, such as a winning or losing position.
- Prepare for tournaments or even specific opponents.
- Have fun!