|Filipino board 1 FM Sander Severino|
After a successful debut against Russia, Team USA crashed back to Earth, losing four fighting games to one of the Olympiad favorites: Philippines-1. FM Sander Severino, the reigning IPCA (International Physically Challenged Association) World Rapid Champion, dominated this writer from the black side of the Caro Kann. Unfortunately, our other three boards suffered a similar fate.
Round 2: #39 USA vs #3 Philippines-1 == 0-4
- Michael vs FM Sander Severino (2364) == 0-1
- Henry Lopez (2107) vs Griffin == 1-0
- Pranav vs Darry Bernardo (2114) == 0-1
- Cheyzer Crystal J. Mendoza (1639) vs Jessica == 1-0
|Michael Aigner vs Sander Severino (0-1)|
After two rounds, 14 teams remain perfect with four match points, including 6 of the original top 10 seeds. Two noteworthy upsets saw Hungary defeat Cuba while North Macedonia fell to Turkey-1. However, the biggest surprise must be Vietnam, who scalped a pair of stronger squads from Kazakhstan and Romania-2.
- 4 MP = three Polish teams, Israel, two Russian teams, two Ukrainian teams, Germany, Turkey-1, Vietnam, Hungary, India-1 and Croatia
- 3 MP = Philippines-1 and Russia-2
- 2 MP = 26 teams
- 1 MP = Canada, USA, Romania-2 and Mali
- 0 MP = 14 teams
The pairing for the third round pits Team USA against Romania-2, rated roughly 200 points higher in average FIDE rating. Interestingly, our previous opponents, Philippines-1 and Russia-2, meet in a heavyweight showdown. This is a brutal competition! The round time is Monday at 6:00 AM PST. Although not a live broadcast, Chess24 uploads all games upon conclusion.
Post a Comment