|Large ballroom at the Sands in Reno!|
The Larry Evans Memorial attracts a mix of experienced masters and motivated amateurs to Reno each Easter weekend, .This event, organized in the self-proclaimed Biggest Little City in the World, has always been one of my favorites! The trip to Reno always feels like a mini vacation; and I'm hardly a gambler. The competition is always stiff. Indeed, the early entries include 6 Grandmasters!
Last year saw a solid turnout of 201 participants. Check out the final results.
Details of the Larry Evans Memorial (formerly Far West Open)
- Dates: April 3-5
- Location: Sands Regency Casino in Reno, NV
- Format: 6 rounds in 5 sections: Open, A, B, C, U1400
- Time control: 40/2, G/1
- Entry fee: $156-160 (add $11 more on-site)
- Prize fund: $26,000 based on 275 entries
- Read the complete details here.
- Check advance entries by section (148 as of March 31).
Note to parents: I know conventional wisdom says that casinos and kids do not mix well, but this event seems to be an exception. Dozens of kids rated from 1000 to 2400 play each year. Simply request the Regency tower while checking in so that the kids can take the elevator directly to the playing hall without walking through the casino.
If you are a regular reader of this blog, please say hi in Reno! :-)