Friday, April 11

New England Masters in August

My British friend and fellow blogger, Chris Bird, is hosting a competitive open tournament this summer for players interested in competing for GM or IM norms. The 2008 New England Masters will take place on August 11-15 in Pawtucket, Rhode Island (near Providence). To comply with FIDE regulations for title norms, this tournament will have nine rounds and plenty of GMs, IMs plus foreign players. Only players with a FIDE (international) rating of 2100 and above are eligible to play, but the organizer may allow up to four special invitees below the minimum rating. Check out the official website for complete details.

The following players are already committed to playing in August: GM Kritz (GER), GM Gareev (UZB), GM Erenburg (ISR), GM Perelshteyn (USA), GM Arkell (ENG), IM Stopa (SRB), IM Vigorito (USA) and Sammour-Hasbun (PLE).

I played in the 2006 Las Vegas Masters, which Chris Bird also organized. It was a blast and I met many strong players during that week. Sadly, my chess play left something to be desired. Unfortunately for us living out west, Chris Bird moved from Las Vegas to Boston and now hosts his annual tournament in New England.

P.S. I wonder if Chris plays the Bird's Opening like I do? In his 2006 tournament, I actually faced 1.f4 with the black pieces--and lost to IM Tim Taylor.

No comments: