|World #2 Aronian|
|14th World Champ Kramnik|
|15th World Champ Anand|
In the world of professional chess, a Candidates Tournament seeks to determine the next challenger to the reigning World Champion. Over the years, this elite event has taken one of two formats: either a series of knockout matches or a traditional round-robin. The 2014 FIDE Candidates Tournament features an 8-player double round-robin for the right to face Magnus Carlsen. The octet will contest 14 rounds from March 13 to 31 in the remote Russian city of Khanty-Mansiysk.
|16th World Champ Carlsen|
- Levon Aronian 2830 (#2 ranked from Armenia)
- Vladimir Kramnik 2787 (14th World Champ from Russia)
- Veselin Topalov 2785 (Bulgaria)
- Viswanathan Anand 2770 (15th World Champ from India)
- Sergey Karjakin 2768 (Russia)
- Peter Svidler 2758 (Russia)
- Shakhriyar Mamedyarov 2757 (Azerbaijan)
- Dmitry Andreikin 2709 (Russia)
|Karjakin as dark horse?|
Don't forget to follow the action starting on March 13! Depending on your schedule, watch the games live or play through the moves later. Check out the official website or enjoy the Game of the Day videos at the Internet Chess Club (members only).