The winners faced stiff competition from IM Ricardo DeGuzman, IM Dmitry Zilberstein and two teenagers: FM Steven Zierk and NM Greg Young. DeGuzman, Zierk and Young tied for third at 4.0/6, with Young claiming top U2300 honors as well. One interesting tidbit: Shankland, Kraai, DeGuzman and Zierk completed a quad amongst themselves, drawing every single game. (Photo of Shankland versus Kraai at top right.) With a performance over 2600 for his last 12 rated games, Zierk (photo at right) will break 2400 USCF.
The tournament attracted 153 players, almost all from the San Francisco Bay Area. Organizer Salman Azhar of BayAreaChess.com paid out 100% of the $8,100 advertised prize fund, even though it was based on 166 paid entries. In a sure sign of the future, at least 60% of the players were kids, including a majority of the prize winners. And here's one unusual sight: a WIM and a FM played *up* in the Expert section!?
- Final crosstables and Prize winners
- USCF rating report
- Fpawn's Slideshow on Flickr
- Awesome Photos by Richard Shorman
- Master: IM Sam Shankland and GM Jesse Kraai; U2300: NM Greg Young
- Expert: Karim Seada
- Class A: James Kwok
- Class B: Thadeus Frei (6-0!!)
- Class C: Jonathan Uesato and Udit Iyengar
- Class D/E: Leyton Ho; U1200: Rupa Gudiseva