Monday, September 21

Robson 0-1 Bhat at SPICE Cup

(GM Vinay Bhat makes a move with the black pieces against IM Ray Robson. Photo taken by FM Paul Truong at SPICE Chess Picasa Album.)

Bay Area native Grandmaster Vinay Bhat has spent this month traveling around the continent to compete in elite invitational round-robins, seeking the experience necessary to raise his game to the next level. Considering his pedigree as a former record holder of youngest USCF master (at age 10), Vinay has already demonstrated the talent to succeed at the highest level of chess. Yet despite earning the Grandmaster title last year, his current FIDE rating of 2474 is still low for a player of his skill.

First, Vinay played in the Montreal International beginning on August 27. He finished with a solid 5.0 out of 11 as the lowest rated participant. He faced opponents rated an average of 2628, about 150 points above his own FIDE rating, and scored three wins and four draws against four losses. Highlights include a shocking miniature versus reigning US Champion GM Yury Shulman, a successful sacrificial attack against the veteran GM Sergei Tiviakov and a solid draw as black with top seed GM Etienne Bacrot, rated 2721! Visit Vinay's chess blog for his own thoughts, observations and several annotated games.

This week, Vinay attends the SPICE Cup Invitational in Lubbock, Texas, where he plays in the "B" Group. This time he is the third lowest rated out of ten players, with an average rating of 2503 FIDE. After three rounds, he is tied for second place with an undefeated 2.0 out of 3, including the following tactical win today against the talented teenager IM Ray Robson. Check it out in the game viewer below.

Vinay, here's wishing all the best in your chess travels!


Play online chess

3 comments:

Diamondback said...

f pawn:

Question is "Was Bhat setting up Robson in that endgame to skewer Robson's Queen" ? If Bhat was , this one of the finest endgame setups I have played over in modern chess.

Your ches blog is second to none.

Even though I live on the East Coast, I enjoy your coverage of the California Chess scene.

Especially noteworthy is your coverage of the young chess talent on the west coast.

Michael Aigner said...

I don't know if Vinay intended to skewer the Queen, although I'm sure he saw the idea several moves earlier. When I was watching the game live, I also saw Qh1 well in advance, but only as a way to win the g2 Rook. Either way, White is clearly winning.

Thanks for visiting my blog.

Vinay Bhat said...

Yeah, when I played 47...c2 (threatening 48...Rd4 and takes on h4), I saw the final position already. At first I was worried about 48.f6, but then I realized my bishop on b2 defended the pawn from afar. I was expecting 52.Re3, hoping to play 53.Rh2 next, but I had seen 52.Kf1 Qh1+ earlier.