View Larger Map
This weekend's Golden State Open is the most exciting annual adult chess tournament in Northern California. Popular national organizer Bill Goichberg and his Continental Chess Association guarantee a minimum prize fund of $21K, with a projection of $30K based on 290 fully paid entries. The past two years saw an average of 250 participants and they hope for a modest increase.
Players may opt to stay at the comfy Concord Hilton while commuters benefit from easy access to I-680 at Willow Pass Road. Dining options are plentiful: Willows Shopping Center across the street (Claim Jumper, Quiznos and Jamba Juice), Sun Valley Mall just off the freeway, and family restaurants in almost every direction.
- Event: Golden Gate Open
- Dates: January 13-16 with 3-day and 2-day schedules (no Open in 2-day)
- Location: 1970 Diamond Blvd, Concord CA
- Format: 7 rounds in 5 sections (Open, U2100, U1800, U1500, U1200)
- Primary Time Control: 40/2, G/1, d/5
- 4-day schedule: Reg by Fri 6PM. Rds: Fri night, Sat (2), Sun (2), Mon (2)
- 3-day schedule: Reg by Sat 10AM. Rds: two G/75, then Sat night, Sun (2), Mon (2)
- 2-day schedule: Reg by Sat 9:30AM. Rds: four G/40, then Sun night, Mon (2).
- Entry fee: $150 on site
- Prize fund: guaranteed $21,000; projected $30,000
- Information: http://www.chesstour.com/gso12.htm
- Advance Entries: http://www.chesstour.com/ae-gso12.htm