The 7th Silicon Valley Challenge by the Sun Chess Club is coming up soon! This year's event on Saturday, August 1, will again be held at Susan's Dance Studio in NE San Jose.
Organizer Charles Sun, a longtime student of mine and now a senior at Saratoga High School, volunteers each year to host one or two tournaments. This gives him a broader perspective on the royal game than simply being a player. Click on the links to read about Challenge #5 and Challenge #6, both held last summer.
Already 16 participants have registered, split almost evenly between the Open and U1600 sections. The top section may prove to be very strong, with at least four masters! The deadline to mail your entry is on Saturday, or you may procrastinate and enter on-site early in the morning before round 1. Note that only 54 entries will be accepted due to the capacity of the playing venue.
Update on Tuesday evening: There are now 30 entries and counting.
- Event: Silicon Valley Challenge #7
- Date: August 1
- Location: 2146 Ringwood Avenue, San Jose (off I-880 near Milpitas).
- Format: 4 round swiss in 2 sections (Open and U1600).
- Open schedule: Reg: 8:30-8:50. Rounds: 9:00, 11:30, 1:45, 4:00.
- U1600 schedule: Reg: 10:30-11:15, Rounds: 11:30, 12:30, 1:45, 3:00.
- Time control: G/60 for Open; G/30 for U1600.
- Entry fee: $35 adults, $30 juniors by July 15 or August 1, $10 more on-site.
- Prize fund: $510 total including $100 for 1st place in Open section.
- Go to Sun Chess Club website for the entry form and advance entry list.
- Site capacity: 54 players.