Dr. Vladimir Naroditsky remained at home to tend to business while his wife Lena and son Danya traveled to Vietnam. Here are observations from several emails that Vladimir asked me to share with the public so that word gets out.
- The weather conditions are almost unbearable, especially since the air conditioning does not work inside the playing halls. Playing conditions are inhumane!
- There were no board numbers for round 1. Some players moved several times, apparently without explanation due to the language barrier.
- ID tags for some players were mixed up, creating confusion. Danya's round 1 opponent showed up late and appeared to be significantly older than 14.
- Internet does not work inside the hotel as promised, although some nearby hot spots have limited wireless access.
- On the bright side, the local people are very friendly and genuinely try to help.